Saturday, July 4, 2015

Secretary Kerry Issues Statement on Somalia’s National Day


Department of State
Washington, DC
July 1, 2015

On behalf of President Obama and the people of the United States, I congratulate the people of Somalia on your 55th Independence Day on July 1.

I was honored this May when I became the first U.S. Secretary of State to visit your country. I had the chance to meet with President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud and Prime Minister Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke. I listened to leaders from your civil society. And I saw how the people of Somalia are making remarkable strides towards the return to democracy.

Federal states are being formed. Entrepreneurs are starting businesses. And government institutions are taking root.

You will have the opportunity this year to consolidate these gains and lay the foundation for more progress. We look forward to the completion of your state formation process. We will be a partner as you make progress on the ongoing constitutional review.

This year’s election will also be a critical step toward ensuring the formation of a government that represents all of Somalia. The United States will be a determined partner in helping you seize this historic opportunity.

On this day of celebration, I wish all Somalis peace and prosperity in the year ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment